14.6.13

Easy Rainbow Cake

I know that I already mentioned this, but I think this rainbow cake deserves an entry of its own. A few months ago, I decided to make my beautiful daughter her birthday cake and it turned out rather well - well enough that a dear friend of mine is brave enough to trust me to make the same one for her son's birthday next month. Having gained more confidence, I thought I'd venture to make my darling son his birthday cake as well. I initially thought of making him one of those train cakes, but he saw the rainbow cake that I was looking at and he preferred it so that's what we both dreamt of making.

For his actual birthday, we made a test cake, but instead of using white icing, I used the chocolate frosting recipe that I have tried, tested and loved. Instead of following the lovely rainbow cake recipe I found, I thought I would make it easy on me and use the 4 ingredients cake recipe that I have used before. I made three mixes, divided it into seven portions and started colouring into my desired rainbow colour. I initially used my rectangle glass mould but it was not thick enough that even if I greased it, it still got stuck. I tried my round silicon mould and it worked better. However at that stage I already used up two portions and I wasn't very patient to make a new one so I thought because it was just a test cake, I might as well just use what is available.

We didn't really plan on him having a party but he got pumped when a dear friend promised him a birthday party and he kept raising the question since. I knew then that I had to make a better version of the test cake.
Having that bit of experience, I decided not to make the whole batter but  make separate ones and colour as I bake. I thought making 1/3 of the recipe (as opposed to 1 cup of each ingredients)  would be okay, but it still was not thick enough. I ended up doing 2/3 of the recipe but in hindsight, 1/2 would have been enough.

When I finished all seven layers, I searched for a white chocolate icing and found an easy one on the Cadbury kitchen  website. I was tempted with how easy it was  and how few the ingredients required to make, plus I only needed the microwave. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I thought it would turn out too sweet, because I used two packs of the white chocolate melts but in the end it tasted just right. I found it really hard to ice the sides though because the ganache hardened too much, it was not easy to spread.

For next time, I am going to try this white chocolate icing recipe.

If you have a tried and tested go to cake recipe, I suggest  that you give it a go and just colour the batter into your preferred rainbow consistency. Otherwise, you can try the one I used from 4 Ingredients. Take note that I have adjusted the amount based on how much I will need for each colour.

Cake Recipe
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup self rising flour

Preheat oven to 180C. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Tint the whole mixture with purple. Grease your favourite cake mould, line with baking paper and pour mixture. Cook for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Let cake stand for 5 minutes. Repeat six times and tint with the remaining rainbow colours.

Thanks Irene for the photos and collage
Thanks photovisi for the edit
 For the frosting, I am still experimenting so it is best to use what has already worked for you.

Place purple cake on board and add frosting. Top with blue cake. Repeat with remaining frosting and aqua, green, yellow, orange and red cakes, using frosting for each layer. Spread remaining frosting over the top and side of cake. Sprinkle with 100s and 1000s.Serve and resist the temptation to eat everything in one go.

No comments: