8.3.05

In Retrospect

Sometime not too long ago I was placed in a position wherein I had to assess how much value I place on myself. It was a little difficult since I have always been very highly opinionated– first, because I thought I was so good I could do anything, and then later on, because I couldn’t do anything right, I needed a power beyond myself. True enough, my relationship with Jesus solved the latter. It wasn’t because I was extraordinary that he accepted me, that I could freely talk to him or about him or that I can do something right. It is precisely because I saw that without Him, I couldn’t possibly amount to anything, much less do something.

Thus began my journey of freedom from insecurities and low self-image propelling my way towards a life of confidence just the way I am, and security because my Father in Heaven has a great plan and a beautiful future for me.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to talk to a very young and pretty girl about a situation that involved a relationship. I challenged her to see herself beyond the relationship, to allow herself to grow and mature into a woman of destiny. I talked to her about respect, how she should set the standard, and not allow the man in her life to determine how she should be treated.

It is funny how many young women close their eyes, playing blind to the way their men treat them, even if deep inside, they know that they deserve so much better.

I myself just got out of that situation. Three years ago, I met and became fast friends with a very interesting man. We would talk and laugh about anything and everything. His passion for God mesmerized me. His dedication to his work left me in utter admiration. His love for his family was simply wonderful. And little did I know that I was falling for him. Despite the distance and differences in background.

One apparent difference seems so unthinkable from the start. He is dark skinned and I live among people who equate beauty with fair complexion. But I have always had eccentric taste. So it did not matter to me. Because when he sang, it was as if the fairest of angels straight from the heavens serenaded me.

Who would think those times would end? I know I didn’t. While he was very busy working, I saw myself missing him more. Until I could no longer remember how he sounded. Until I have almost forgotten how he looked. Until I just cry myself to exhaustion.

It made me think of the kind of man I want to marry. Surely he will make time for me, no matter how busy he is. Surely he will make a way just so he can see me. Surely he will not get tired of my presence. And when we are older and the children are gone, we will still hold hands, kiss and hug, we will still sing together, and we wont get tired of talking to each other.

My talk with that girl challenged me to think about my own value and self-respect. It made me think of this man that I have long dreamed of waking up next to each morning for the rest of my life. That talk gave me the courage to let go of whatever hopes I have about our so-called relationship.

In the end, I knew I deserved better. And this time I will see myself through this. God did promise to be my strength in my times of weakness.

After all is said and done, I am still grateful that he became part of my life. I know that whatever happened is always for the best. And even if destiny is taking us to different directions, I am still glad for the memory that once in my life a beautiful person added a rainbow of colors to my semi-boring and dull existence.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

awe!!!! that's sad!!
i understand your concept of " pag d ukol, d bobokol" but there are things need working the hard way to reach them. I'll be judgemental if i'll tell you didn't work it hard to make it work because i don't have enough details what else happened but girl, long distance relationship is a lot of hard work to make it very colorful.. have to have miles of patience and trust... and dozens and hundreds of efforts.

i want you too get so colorful again and a mouth full of love and lullaby....
....... can you try reaching your hand for a chance??

kAlaNdRaKAs said...

Usher,

Yep we did what we can. At least I know I did.

Maybe he didn't recognize my value as much as I did his. I don't know I can only speculate.

I haven't really given up on love, if that's what you mean. Afterall I am a firm believer that it is a gift, something you give away freely, most often not expecting anything in return. It is usually up to that person you love what he/she will do with it.

we both made our choices. i am convinced i am the "lucky" one. (for lack of a better term)

Anonymous said...

hi ice! what can i say? :) first of all, let me tell you that you really write well and although i always considered you as intelligent, i really didn't know you're such a good writer.

i don't mean to discourage you (hehe, ano pa nga ba!) but it's really hard making a long-distance relationship work...i should know :) distance makes the heart...forget, hehe. but don't fret...move on (i know it's easier said than done), i know you can...believe that there is still somebody as wonderful as him or even better, who will sweep you off your feet.

take care always...keep the faith.

kAlaNdRaKAs said...

anonymous,

thanks for your very kind words.

come to think of it, all my relationships (if i may call them dat..lol! do i sound like a denial queen?) are long distance, none of which work. but I can't also see myself going out with someone who lives close enough that i can see him everyday(hmmm..have i met all the people in cebu? hehehe)

i guess it is a challenge for God. afterall he is the one who promised to meet all my needs according to HIS glorious riches and glory.

truthfully it was a yearlong struggle to let go or keep. i wrote this because i have finally moved on.

cheers!

Anonymous said...

oh i see...so, i suppose there has been some kind of "closure"...

keep on believing. He knows best...as if u didn't know :)

Anonymous said...

hmmm... i think i need materials to make my thoughts more clear and real.. real that you can feel touching you inner mind and heart.

lets see.....

I have shared a similar life experience, but my story has a happy ending. I was lonely and I had my share of bad relationships, too. I was at the point of giving up on love and just living my life alone with my son. Then by accident or miracle, I met someone who changed my life. We met accross the ocean and fell in love, but the thought of time and distance between us did not discourage our love for each other. Our love grew stronger as each passing moment went by.
The saying, "Distance makes the heart forget," is somehow true but as what you've said, God also met all my needs according to HIS glorious riches and glory.. (whisper) "long distance worked for me!!!" :)

The distance was the hardest struggle at the start.. sobrang hirap! but it's not really distance that makes the relationship difficult to work, it's more on the emotional aspects of it. I can sense in your writing that you cared a lot for him and you did your best, that's good enough!

I'm happy you did move on. cHeErs, girl! It took me years to move on from my past relationship.. mAGALing ka talaga in all aspects!

Okidokie!!! I know there's somebody out there.. and here.. over there and under God's will in store for you!!!

kAlaNdRaKAs said...

Annonymous,

well, some people are lucky..i guess others are Yani...LOL!

my feeling is, if you do get into a long distance relationship, you shouldn't wait for years til you close the miles between you, otherwise it will be emotionally draining. a very good book that i try to read every single day says, hope deferred makes the heart sick. how true!

i'm glad it worked for you. as for me, we'll see..hehe!

kAlaNdRaKAs said...

wow..i can't spell anonymous anymore!! hahaha!

i should be working, instead of blogging...*toinkz*

kAlaNdRaKAs said...

i mean we'll see if i will ever get into it again..duh! LOL!