26.4.13

My First Clothes Swap


When I first received the 'save the date' for a clothes swap, I honestly did not know what to expect. Because it was fundraiser for youth projects at church, I initially thought  maybe I will just pay the registration to support the project since I couldn't think of anything of value that I could swap with.

One time in a meeting I discovered that I was not the only one feeling the way I did. Good thing the organizer who has done the event successfully  before, was there to reassure us and help us understand and answer all our questions.

The fundraising part was collecting $20 from each person which then allows them to pick 10 items that they like. All funds collected go to the youth project. The fun part was a relaxed time with friends, having afternoon tea together and sharing a good laugh. And then there's the swapping. The idea is to bring stuff that's new or mint condition ranging from clothes, books, jewelry, shoes, bags or whatever that's been sitting somewhere, occupying space at home but not really getting used as much. At the venue, someone will then sort the items for everyone to look at and choose from. But even for those like me who didn't think they

little miss sorting the blings for me 

had  anything to bring, it still works out because there are others who are decluttering and bring lots.

So I invited some friends who I thought might be interested, and thankfully three said YES. And boy, were we all in for a surprise! I arrived early because I helped set up and already there were so many items from friends who couldn't make it but wanted to support anyway. When my friends arrived, it was buzzing and



Photo credits to Tess and Linie

with a room full of 25 women, excluding children, you can't expect any less.

We shared a scrumptious afternoon tea, met new people and enjoyed the view. Indeed it was an afternoon  
come and eat with us :-))


can you see the view?

well spent. In the words of one of my gorgeous friends, she went there wanting to support the youth projects for the community and not expecting to get anything but she left feeling good, with a bag of loot to boot. From the looks of it, it will not be our last clothes swap too. On our drive home, we were already talking about the next one, and from what  I have seen that afternoon, I will have heaps of clothes to bring then.

1 comment:

Linie Crawford said...

I did enjoy this event Yani! I myself had no expectations whatsoever - I went with pure intention of just contributing to the charity. What happened for the rest of the day is definitely a surprise to me! It was an event worth all my time - not because of what I can take home but because of the opportunity to help the cause and meet new lovely people! Thanks for the invite and for next year I will definitely clear my calendar for this!