9.6.05

Death and Taxes

Brad Pitt’s movie entitled “Meet Joe Black” spoke of two things that are certain in this world: Death and Taxes. I was so sure for a long time that it is only change that does not change. (haha! I almost confused myself there)

I brought up the issue of death for a change. Hehehe! Most of what is written in here is ramblings on love and relationships. I do have a different side.

Actually this is a breakaway from a topic, which I opened in a message board because of a rampant announcement of obituaries in my hometown. Death happens all the time. Like what some of the posters mentioned, it is a like a thief in the night. It comes when it is least expected. And it is no respecter of person either. It comes to us regardless of age, sex, race or status.

For years, it is a topic that very few people ever venture into. For most people, it is easier to shun the discussion of death, rather than confront it. But my feeling is, if it is so inevitable, it might as well be discussed and exposed rather than kept hidden deep within along with most of life’s questions.

Like most people, I wriggle out on the issue every chance I get. I felt that I was too young to even worry about it. I thought it is an issue that older people should worry about.

I must say I was still a teen when I was confronted with the reality of death. No, I was not in a near-death situation or anything, thank God! Someone was just bold enough to ask where I thought I would go if I died that day.

Of course I had no clue. For a long time I thought that if I don’t talk about death, then it will just go away. That day, for the first time, I had to give an answer to a question that I didn’t want to face.

Seeing that I almost turned pale and obviously groping for words, the lady sat next to me and explained some very important truths about death. Yes, it comes to anyone at any time. The good news, she said is that we can prepare for our departure from this life to the next. And when we do that, then there is nothing to be afraid.

She went on to point out that the very first step to becoming fearless of death is by making sure that I have set my relationship with God straight. She didn’t mean becoming religious. (that would have turned me off) She meant having a vibrant and active relationship with a living God. She referred to the Bible wherein Jesus challenged death when He said, where O Death is your sting, when he was raised from the grave after three days. That day I did not hesitate to make my preparations. I invited Jesus, not just to be there as He always is, but more importantly, to be the Savior and Leader of my life.

I will always look back to that monumental day of February 1990, because not only was I assured of eternal life, my many fears of life and death evaporated. The good thing is, it is not because of me, but because of what Jesus did for me, that I could be fearless of death.

When I die, I don’t want people to cry. I want them to rejoice because after a temporary stint here on earth, I will finally be united with my eternal groom, Jesus.

No comments: