17.6.05

PuRely mY SeNtImEnTs

A few years ago I discovered that I would be happiest when I work in organizations that seek to make a contribution in community development.

For me to actually resign from a well paying job in a universal bank seemed like madness that my own mother thought I was crazy to give it up so I can do something about with my newly discovered passion.

I don’t know…I just get a natural high knowing that what I am doing is making a contribution towards the betterment of the society.

For four years I have been pursuing a career in the non-profit industry and I can say it has it rewards. In fact I can go on to say that what I learned for eight years in the bank, I already did for a few months in my new industry.

I got to meet important, unassuming, down-to earth people who has no qualms about who they are or their stature in the society. Which is the exact opposite of my former boss!

Working in ngo’s as I said has its share of highs. And low’s depending on how you look at it. I remember organizing an event, and having to pick up the guest speaker on the day of the activity itself, host the program when we arrived at the venue, took pictures, and help facilitate one of the working groups during the breakout sessions. Whew! You would think I was superwoman! But I wasn’t and I am not. There was just no one else who was available to do it. There are other things too. But my point is, all these things all the more strengthened the joy I derive from such activities.

Mind you, I am a very hardworking person. I can spare myself of so many luxuries, be it time, money or what have you, just so I can deliver the expected results, as long as things are clearly laid down to me. I want to know my boundaries, I like to work in an environment where I am free to deliver certain objectives in such a way that I can freely choose certain options that I have laid out, unless of course there is a standard operating procedure that has been clearly discussed and understood prior to embarking on a project.

As a professional I hate to do anything that would put my integrity and reputation at stake. That is why it takes me forever to finish something that the way I see it, is not in line with what I believe and stand for. Sometimes I am too obedient, many times, too much for my own good. But anyone just has to ask me the right question to get the truth out of me.

As I said I always work with a passion, many times at my own expense just to get things done. But cross the line that will jeopardize what I stand for and I will be the first one to run.

I am so grateful for the many opportunities that my jobs since four years ago have brought me. I know that I have more things to learn. But for now, I know for certain that it is time for me to leave and venture in other career opportunities somewhere.

Who knows where God will be pleased to take me!

No comments: