9.6.05

The Grass is Greener Somewhere Else?!?

The Filipino diaspora all around the globe is very common that I am almost certain that there is at least one member of every family who lives and works abroad.

I remember a time when my father went to California to settle the sale of a family property. I think he came back after over six months impressed and mesmerized with the US of A that I had a feeling he wanted to move all of us there.

I was a sophomore business student then, actively participating in rallies and other campus activities in an effort to point out errors committed by the government, and at the same time promote social awareness among fellow students and the Cebuano community. It was at that time when I could vividly remember the street chants that my father arrived from his trip.

While he was sharing his accolades, I can still recall how he looked when I dismissed him with a shrug. I was so convinced that if all the good people will leave, the corrupt will remain, and this nation will be reduced to utter ruin.

Don’t get me wrong, I never had anything against those who go abroad from the very start. I just didn’t think it was my path.

It was not until I became actively involved in my church  that I had a change of perspective. From day one, I was told to get a passport, among others. What with a vision to honor God and advance his Kingdom by making disciples, training leaders and planting churches in the Philippines, Asia and the world.

My myopic focus on my own little world had to leave as I started to look beyond. When I drafted my personal mission statement, I did not confine myself with what I can see. It included the world. Thus I can go anywhere, given a purpose worth pursuing.

Of course being able to help our family is a good one. This is often the reason why husbands or wives leave their families behind for greener pasture. I know of someone who works tirelessly just so he can help his dad and close relatives financially. I deeply admire his steadfast resolution at such a time as this.

However, I don’t think the provision is enough to justify being apart from your own family. I know of people whose children go astray because of absentee parents. Having money for the children's future is pointless if the children are already addicted to drugs, or alcohol or bad influence of friends. For me, money is not enough payment when I look at the price they have to pay for it.

If parents, or one of the parents plan to leave, I hope they include bringing the whole family along. When I get married, I don’t think I can afford to be away from my husband and children for over a week. How much more for years? It is just not healthy, not for the marriage, or for the children.

God's original design for the family is for them to be together, not apart, NOT even in the guise of making money for them.

On a personal note, my brothers will attest that I have already traveled the world if we are to talk about the countries that I planned to go to...I am a dreamer and I don't hesitate to talk about my dreams..( talk about someone who has a wedding plan with a minor hitch - no groom! hahaha) Wherever God will take me in the next couple of months, I hope it is somewhere where I will meet someone who will pay for my plan...bwahahaha! Seriously, (and there's no need to take me to the hospital) wherever that is, i know it is a place where I will fulfill God's purpose for me...and who knows...maybe even make some money!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one`s a good one!