14.6.05

Happy Parents’ Day

The one-day celebration dedicated to mothers and fathers every May and June respectively makes me wonder if it even begins to show the honor and respect parents deserve at all.

Even with the one-day each reserved for them, sometimes we still miss or is it blatantly ignore (?) such an important event. But is one day really sufficient? Or shouldn’t it be an everyday thing?

During last Sunday’s celebration service in church, my Pastor preached a very timely message on the 5th Commandment in Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Let me briefly share the key points that has encouraged me from the preaching.

I can still hear my mother’s lectures on the importance of honoring parents based on the scripture. I know there are times that we don’t always feel like it, so why should we honor our parents then?

Three reasons why: 1) God requires it..yup, whether they deserve it or not..no matter what they are like; 2) God will reward it..Not only will we live long, we will also be rewarded with a good life (Eph 6:1) Afterall, what’s a good life for if it is spent in suffering? and 3) Children will repeat it. This one scared me. If the way I treat my parents now is the gauge of how my children will respond to me in the future, then I might as well do things correctly right now.

Like I said it, honoring parents is not always a piece of cake. The question is, is there a way parents to make it easy for kids to honor them?

Absolutely! 1) Love God passionately; and this doesn’t mean simply loving by words. More importantly, it is wholeheartedly serving God by example. When children see their parents’ genuine love for God in the way they live, there is no need for them to make any threats just so they will join then in church. 2) Love your espouse properly..Be practical.make it a habit to make the other happy. This comes very easy when #1 is a given. 3) Love your children equally. When parents play favorites, it is like a bomb waiting to explode.

How do we honor our parents then? 1) The life we live. Are we causing them problems? Or are we wise in handling our affairs? (Pr 23:24-25; Pr 10:1; Pr 15:20) 2) The love we give. (Pr 13:1) Do we take heed of their instructions? (Pr 12:1) Generally, parents will never do anything that will hurt us on purpose (Col 2:20, Eph 6:1) At times, the way they treat us is the best they know how. Who can blame them? Afterall, ther e is no school for parenting! 3)The listening ear we extend. As they give guidance (Deu 21:18) as they give discipline (Pr 6:20-23;Heb 12:7-11) and as they grow old (Pr 23:22)

Why did I decide to share this here? I seriously think we can pick a thing or two and apply them in our lives.

Isn’t it true how easy it is for us to take our parents for granted as we grow older? I thought this would be a fitting reminder for every sons and daughters to treat their parents well.

And while Father’s Day is on its way, I want to take this opportunity to thank my parents, Florencio Medrano Lumactod and Teresita Pagaran Clarit, for raising me and my siblings up the best way they can. They have always provided us with all our needs, sometimes beyond their ability. Not only did they teach us what honor means, they lived it as well.

But what will always stay as their greatest, single most important legacy in my life is having taught me about God and the fear of Him. For as long as I could remember, I knew there is a perfect God and I realized my inadequacies. Because of that knowledge, it was so easy for me to see my need of a personal relationship with Jesus and embrace Him as the Leader and Savior of my Life.

I am sure my siblings will agree with me when I say that given a wild opportunity to choose any parents that I would fancy, I would pick my Papa and Mama all over again.

No comments: