24.9.04

guess who walked out....

of a tutorial session????

Hard to tell, but I DID!

I am usually a very patient person...and I always try to see the good in people but today, I just had to walk away.

Three kids aged 10, 11 and 12...yep...that's how old they are...ooooOhh...they talk at the same time too..I think I am now on my sixth week, and somehow I thought I've had it figured out. Of course they have to work on their assignments first, then I will just have to check on their work afterwards..But there's a problem if they didn't understand their lessons..I have to be able to explain it to them...And then there's the time that they clamored for my attention at the same time..Can't they see there's only one of me and three of them??

The worst thing is when I am trying to explain to them something and they pretend to be bored or sleepy because they find the explaination too long and they want a shortcut. It would have been good if the understood the explaination in the end...the sad thing is they don't.

Now I am contemplating on whether i should go back or not. After over a month of tutoring them, I still haven't negotiated my rate..Sometimes I would think that it would be understandable if their mom won't pay me. I feel like it is a waste of money to keep meeting with these kids because they are so NOT interested. I don't know if they even understand why they are in school in the first place.

When I grow up (lol) and become a wife and mother someday, I will see to it that I tutor my own children myself. It's a pity, because children won't be kids for a lng time...As for me, I would like to be available for them, be their friend, and teach them the ways that they should go, so when they are older, they won't depart from those teachings.

2 comments:

Me said...

Stumbled in... read your blog... smiled.

I have a son who is 12.
He does not have a tutor... but I find that boys in the 10, 11 and 12 age group are pretty much the same all the way around so I knew exactly what you wrote of.

However... I'm sure they laughed when you left. Counting it as points for them. Next time do not walk out! Truly. Stay. Don't give them power over you. Sit there and quietly stare at them with a bored "I've heard it all guys" look on your face, wait patiently for them to tire, and/or give the "are you done yet?" face to them.

But wait them out.
Do not walk out.

:)

Oh - and when you do someday get married and have children of your own...

"...... I will see to it that I tutor my own children myself. It's a pity, because children won't be kids for a lng time..."

Sometimes (as I can atest to) you seem to have much more patience for teaching other children than your own. I'm not sure why; (I have a teaching background that I strayed from and didn't follow that path) but found that I can easily teach a classroom of kids while I lose patience more quickly with my own.

Interesting! LOL.

Anyway... hang in there!!!!!



Even when they don't look like they are listening... THEY ARE!


:)

kAlaNdRaKAs said...

hello me...thanks for ur comments..i really appreciate it. so mothers are generally impatient of their own kids, eh? so maybe i was speaking in the voice of inexperience..i might just hire a tutor for my children when the time comes then...lol!

actually the kids freaked out when i walked out..they were soooo scared i would tell their mom! i almost did not come back the next day, but i did..

they were surprisingly behaved, and the one whom i wanted to bite her head off hugged me tightly and apologized profusely..lol